Friday, July 15, 2011

Review: All that was Promised by Vickie Hall

In All that was Promised by Vickie Hall, we get to read a different kind of LDS novel, one that puts you into the early Welsh Saints' shoes!  There is romance, mystery, some history, and more!

From Vickie Hall's website
In 1847 Wales Methodist Minister Richard Kenyon converts to Mormonism. Richard’s newfound faith is put to the test when he faces the anger of his former congregation, his wife’s indecisiveness, his brother’s betrayal, and the murderous intentions of misinformed villagers.
In her blog she tells some of the background information for her book:
My Welsh great-great grandparents, James and Ann Ellis, wrote in their journals of a love spoon carved by James and given to Ann prior to their marriage. Their journals became a great resource to me in writing All That Was Promised and provided me with a real sense of life in 19th century Wales.
She also has recipes here!

My Thoughts

I really enjoyed reading this book, it was very well-written and gave me a feeling of what their life had been like!  It was amazing reading of the conversion of the once prostitute!  It was sad to think of how many people were disinherited from their family due to joining the church.  I liked hearing the places people were from!  My father-in-law served his mission in Cardiff, Pontypridd and another place that was mentioned.  Since he is now gone from this world and can't read this book (which I'm sure he would have loved), I thought I'd add a picture of him on his mission!
I can't remember what area this is, but he served in Wales!  Back to the book.  I would have loved to find out what happened to the characters.  Is there going to be another book that has the Saints crossing the ocean and making it to Utah?  How much of this book is based on fact?  I would love to read some of the journal entries that she used to write this book, because you really feel like you are in the story and one of the Saints that is being bullied for greed.  Those poor Saints!  A great read for everyone, but especially those who know what it's like to be a new convert and those who don't, so you can better sympathize!

Buy it!
You can buy it here on Amazon for $11.99 for the real copy and $9.99 for the Kindle version! 

*These are my opinions.  I was sent a book in order to facilitate my review, but not paid for my thoughts!*

No comments:

Post a Comment