Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Book Review: Olivia by Julie Wright

This is a new series called The Newport Ladies Book Club from some of my favorite authors, so I jumped at the chance to review it!
From the back cover:
The Robbins household looks perfect from the outside:  no dust, no stains, no wrinkles.  Yet a glimpse into its heart reveals no laughter, no closeness, no joy.  Olivia thinks that if she keeps everything tidy and serves delicious meals on time, family life is bound to get better.  But when her husband, Nick, misses their anniversary, she realizes no amount of domestic success will compensate for failure in their marriage, or for her own failure to develop her identity--always busy as a mother, wife, and neighbor, she had forgotten how to be a unique and vibrant individual.  Determined to make a change, Olivia joins a local book club, where she nurtures new friendships and explores new ideas.  But her growing confidence falters when Nick declares his independence--and while her new friends lovingly encircle her with support, only Olivia can reach into the depths of her fledgling self to find the faith, hope, and love her troubled family needs.

My thoughts
This was a fantastic book! I laughed, I cried and I really want to join a book club! Poor Livvy really gets put through the ringer, when she thinks that she is doing everything for everyone. Her house is always clean, she always does service for others when they ask, and has no idea why her husband is acting so strange.  She knows he would never cheat on her, which is one less worry. But, she has no idea why he left. Luckily, she joins a book club that helps her by letting her serve others and seeing that she isn't the only one who has problems! She gets "Heaven reminders" that help her know when to help people and usually she feels better too. I love it! I especially love the happy ending.  I was really wondering about that Nick.  I didn't think it was nearly as bad as he made it out to be!  I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment